This article provides an account of the top 10 scientific journals in the fields of radiology and medical imaging ranked according to SCImago’s scoring system and the Google h-5 index. For a more detailed review, we encourage you to visit each journal’s website where you can find useful details including the purpose and scope, editorial board, and metrics including impact factor.
Please keep in mind that the journals outlined in this article are of a “general” nature. If you are looking for more information regarding journals that focus within specific sub-categories of radiology or medical imaging, such as those dedicated to interventional radiology, neuroradiology, nuclear medicine, or pediatric radiology, among others, then this article may not satisfy your needs.
Google ranks scientific journals according to the h5-index, an index that considers publications in the journal over the past 5 years and that is intended to take into account both the number and quality of publications.
Google’s h5-index value is calculated to maximize both the number of published papers and the number of citations. According to wikipedia, the “h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published h papers that have each been cited at least h times.”
SCImago, a data science and visualization research group from Spain, has also ranked the top journals in the fields of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, and Imaging. Their most recent release is for the year 2019.
- Radiology – h5-index: 93
- IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging – h5-index: 85
- JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging – h5-index: 70
- Magnetic Resonance in Medicine – h5-index: 70
- Medical Physics – h5-index: 63
- European Radiology – h5-index: 62
- Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (Medical Image Analysis) – h5-index: 61
- Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging – h5-index: 61
- Endoscopy – h5-index: 60
- Physics in Medicine & Biology – h5-index: 60
- JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging – Journal Ranking: 4.902
- Medical Image Analysis – Journal Ranking: 3.877
- Cancer Treatment Reviews – Journal Ranking: 3.619
- Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography – Journal Ranking: 3.567
- npj Breast Cancer – Journal Ranking: 3.545
- Radiology – Journal Ranking: 2.986
- Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance – Journal Ranking: 2.934
- Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging – Journal Ranking: 2.904
- Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology – Journal Ranking: 2.855
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging – Journal Ranking: 2.807