Whether you are in the process of preparing your research for publication or simply interested in exploring neuroscience literature, one of these top-ranking journals is likely to satisfy your needs. Please note that our list encompasses “general” neuroscience journals and not those dedicated to a particular neuroscience sub-category, which some individuals may be seeking.
As a scientific discipline, neuroscience is quite far-reaching, ranging from cellular and molecular science to cognitive, behavioral, and developmental sciences that have their own dedicated journals. If you are looking for the best-ranked “general” journals from the field, then you should find this article helpful. While this article outlines current journal rankings in the field of neuroscience, we encourage you to visit each journal’s website, where you can learn about the editorial board of the journal, journal metrics beyond impact factor, and other useful details.
Here are the top 10 scientific journals in the field of Neuroscience ranked according to the scoring system of the research group SCImago, whose most recent rankings data is for the year 2019, and by the citation database Scopus. We have also provided the impact factor of each journal, based on data from the Academic Accelerator for the 2019-2020 year, to better support your search.
- Nature Reviews Neuroscience – Journal Ranking: 14.780 (Impact Factor: 32.240)
- Nature Neuroscience – Journal Ranking: 13.723 (Impact Factor: 17.810)
- Annual Review of Neuroscience – Journal Ranking: 10.311 (Impact Factor: 12.020)
- Neuron – Journal Ranking: 9.527 (Impact Factor: 11.180)
- EMBO Journal – Journal Ranking: 7.086 (Impact Factor: 9.960)
- eLife – Journal Ranking: 6.079 (Impact Factor: 6.830)
- Trends in Neurosciences – Journal Ranking: 4.871 (Impact Factor: 10.480)
- PLoS Biology – Journal Ranking: 4.488 (Impact Factor: 7.620)
- Current Opinion in Neurobiology – Journal Ranking: 4.380 (Impact Factor: 6.210)
- Current Biology – Journal Ranking: 3.958 (Impact Factor: 5.720)
- Nature Reviews Neuroscience – CiteScore: 38.5 (Impact Factor: 32.240)
- Nature Neuroscience – CiteScore: 32.2 (Impact Factor: 17.810)
- Neuron – CiteScore: 24.9 (Impact Factor: 11.180)
- Annual Review of Neuroscience – CiteScore: 19.6 (Impact Factor: 12.020)
- Trends in Neurosciences – CiteScore: 19.6 (Impact Factor: 10.480)
- Progress in Neurobiology – CiteScore: 18.0 (Impact Factor: 10.640)
- EMBO Journal – CiteScore: 16.4 (Impact Factor: 9.960)
- Current Biology – CiteScore: 13.8 (Impact Factor: 5.720)
- Neuroscientist – CiteScore: 11.3 (Impact Factor: 5.920)
- AJOB Neuroscience – CiteScore: 10.8 (Impact Factor: 5.210)