Whether you are trying to decide where to publish your research findings, looking for literature to discuss at journal club, or simply interested in exploring publications from prestigious scientific journals, this article is likely to help you to achieve your aims. While we outline current immunology journal rankings and the impact factor of each journal, we encourage you to visit the website of each journal where you can learn about its purpose and scope, editorial board, and detailed metrics beyond impact factor, among other information.
Please note that our list of the top 10 Immunology journals focuses on “general immunology” journals. If you are interested in exploring journals specifically dedicated to covering a particular immunology sub-topic such as autoimmunity, vaccine biology, rheumatology, or cancer immunotherapy, then this article may not satisfy your needs. In addition, if the accessibility of a journal is of importance to you, keep in mind that the journals we have listed may not have open access status.
We have provided an outline of the top 10 journals in the field of immunology according to the ranking systems of Google and the data research group SCImago. Google ranks scientific journals using the h5-index, an index that considers publications in the journal over the past 5 years and that is intended to take into account both the number and quality of publications.
The h5-index value is calculated to maximize both the number of published papers and the number of citations. According to wikipedia, the “h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published h papers that have each been cited at least h times.”
SCImago, a data science and visualization research group from Spain, has also ranked the top journals in Immunology. Their most recent release is for the year 2019. Data regarding the impact factor of each journal for the 2019-2020 year is derived from the Academic Accelerator.
- Immunity – h5-index: 137 (Impact Factor: 14.640)
- Nature Immunology – h5-index: 130 (Impact Factor: 18.500)
- Nature Reviews Immunology – h5-index: 124 (Impact Factor: 41.650)
- Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology – h5-index: 117 (Impact Factor: 8.200)
- Frontiers in Immunology – h5-index: 101 (Impact Factor: 4.530)
- Journal of Experimental Medicine – h5-index: 91 (Impact Factor: 10.350)
- The Journal of Immunology – h5-index: 88 (Impact Factor: 4.340)
- Immunological Reviews – h5-index: 78 (Impact Factor: 10.850)
- Trends in Immunology – h5-index: 76 (Impact Factor: 10.650)
- Allergy – h5-index: 72 (Impact Factor: 6.280)
- Nature Reviews Immunology – Journal Ranking: 20.611 (Impact Factor: 41.650)
- Annual Review of Immunology – Journal Ranking: 13.842 (Impact Factor: 20.760)
- Immunity – Journal Ranking: 11.977 (Impact Factor: 14.640)
- Nature Immunology – Journal Ranking: 9.283 (Impact Factor: 18.500)
- Science Immunology – Journal Ranking: 8.014 (Impact Factor: 8.160)
- Nature Microbiology – Journal Ranking: 7.922 (Impact Factor: 11.780)
- Journal of Experimental Medicine – Journal Ranking: 7.757 (Impact Factor: 10.350)
- The Lancet HIV – Journal Ranking: 6.395 (Impact Factor: 13.410)
- Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases – Journal Ranking: 6.142 (Impact Factor: 12.680)
- Immunological Reviews – Journal Ranking: 6.063 (Impact Factor: 10.850)