Whether you are interested in publishing your research findings or simply looking to explore the gastroenterology literature, this article should help you to achieve your aims. While we have outlined journal rankings in the field of gastroenterology, we encourage you to visit the website of each of the journals where you can access additional details including the scope and aims, metrics such as impact factor, key points of contact, and other information that may be helpful to your pursuits.
Keep in mind that gastroenterology is a fairly wide-reaching branch of medicine with multiple sub-specializations that each have their own dedicated journals. If you have a more focused interest, such as in colorectal disease, gut pathogens, or gastrointestinal surgery, then our list of “general” top-ranking journals in gastroenterology and hepatology may not satisfy your needs.
Here are the top 10 scientific journals in the field of Gastroenterology ranked according to the SCImago scoring system and Google’s h-5 index. Google ranks scientific journals according to the h5-index, an index that considers publications in the journal over the past 5 years and that is intended to take into account both the number and quality of publications.
Google’s h5-index value is calculated to maximize both the number of published papers and the number of citations. According to wikipedia, the “h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published h papers that have each been cited at least h times.”
SCImago, a data science and visualization research group from Spain, has also ranked the top journals in Gastroenterology. Their most recent release is for the year 2019.
- Gastroenterology – h5-index: 148
- Journal of Hepatology – h5-index: 130
- Gut – h5-index: 124
- Hepatology – h5-index: 123
- World Journal of Gastroenterology – h5-index: 92
- Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology – h5-index: 85
- American Journal of Gastroenterology – h5-index: 82
- Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics – h5-index: 81
- Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology – h5-index: 80
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy – h5-index: 75
- Gut – Journal Ranking: 7.763
- Gastroenterology – Journal Ranking: 6.850
- Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology – Journal Ranking: 6.113
- The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology – Journal Ranking: 5.299
- Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics – Journal Ranking: 3.298
- Gut Microbes – Journal Ranking: 3.245
- Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology – Journal Ranking: 2.973
- Journal of Crohn’s and Colitis – Journal Ranking: 2.859
- American Journal of Gastroenterology – Journal Ranking: 2.571
- Gastric Cancer – Journal Ranking: 2.537