This article outlines the top 10 dermatology journals ranked according the SCImago ranking system and the H-5 index of Google.
The journals that we have addressed are of a “general” nature and should be helpful to anyone looking to learn more about the most prestigious journals in the field of dermatology, whether to submit research findings, to select articles for discussion at journal club, or simply to explore recent cutting edge science.
If you are interested in learning more about journals dedicated to specific dermatology sub-topics such as immunodermatology, cosmetic dermatology, dermatopathology, or pediatric dermatology, then you may not find this article helpful.
We encourage you to visit the website of each journal so that you can learn about their mission, scope, open access status, and editorial board, among other useful information that may support your search. Many journal websites also provide detailed metrics including impact factor.
Google ranks scientific journals according to the h5-index, an index that considers publications in the journal over the past 5 years and that is intended to take into account both the number and quality of publications.
Google’s h5-index value is calculated to maximize both the number of published papers and the number of citations. According to wikipedia, the “h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published h papers that have each been cited at least h times.”
SCImago, a data science and visualization research group from Spain, has also ranked journals in the field of Dermatology. Their most recent release is for the year 2019.
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology – h5-index: 83
- British Journal of Dermatology – h5-index: 68
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology – h5-index: 67
- Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology – h5-index: 60
- JAMA Dermatology – h5-index: 57
- Acta Dermato-Venereologica – h5-index: 43
- Experimental Dermatology – h5-index: 41
- Journal of Dermatological Science – h5-index: 39
- American Journal of Clinical Dermatology – h5-index: 38
- Clinics in Dermatology – h5-index: 37
- British Journal of Dermatology – Journal Ranking: 2.080
- JAMA Dermatology – Journal Ranking: 2.025
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology – Journal Ranking: 1.990
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology – Journal Ranking: 1.811
- LGBT Health – Journal Ranking: 1.704
- Sexually Transmitted Infections – Journal Ranking: 1.684
- Pigment Cell and Melanoma Research – Journal Ranking: 1.651
- American Journal of Clinical Dermatology – Journal Ranking: 1.620
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – Journal Ranking: 1.558
- Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology – Journal Ranking: 1.450