Whether you are trying to decide where to publish your research findings or simply interested in exploring cutting edge research, you are likely to find this article helpful. While we outline current journal rankings in the field of cardiology, we encourage you to visit the website of each journal, where you can learn more about its purpose, editorial board, metrics including impact factor, and other details that may support your search.
In this article we have provided a list of the top 10 scientific journals in the field of Cardiology ranked according to Google’s h-5 index and the scoring system of the research group SCImago. Keep in mind that these are “general” cardiology journals and less focused on particular specializations of the field than you might prefer. Cardiology is a broad field, and your needs may be better suited by a journal dedicated to interventional cardiology, cardiac electrophysiology, pediatric cardiology, or another sub-category.
Google ranks scientific journals according to the h5-index, an index that considers publications in the journal over the past 5 years and that is intended to take into account both the number and quality of publications.
Google’s h5-index value is calculated to maximize both the number of published papers and the number of citations. According to wikipedia, the “h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published h papers that have each been cited at least h times.”
SCImago, a data science and visualization research group from Spain, has also ranked the top journals in Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine. Their most recent release is for the year 2019.
- Circulation – h5-index: 166
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology – h5-index: 164
- European Heart Journal – h5-index: 153
- Circulation Research – h5-index: 127
- European Journal of Heart Failure – h5-index: 81
- Nature Reviews Cardiology – h5-index: 78
- JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions – h5-index: 75
- Journal of the American Heart Association – h5-index: 74
- Heart Rhythm – h5-index: 71
- International Journal of Cardiology – h5-index: 71
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology – Journal Ranking: 9.989
- Circulation – Journal Ranking: 7.446
- JAMA Cardiology – Journal Ranking: 5.976
- European Heart Journal – Journal Ranking: 5.883
- European Journal of Heart Failure – Journal Ranking: 5.556
- JACC: Heart Failure – Journal Ranking: 5.173
- JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging – Journal Ranking: 4.902
- Circulation Research – Journal Ranking: 4.685
- Nature Reviews Cardiology – Journal Ranking: 4.395
- Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation – Journal Ranking: 3.945